Sunday, February 3, 2013

How to Tie a Quilt, Ten Ways to Tie a Quilt, Quilt Pattern


You might be closer to having a pile of finished quilts than you think! I hope that's true for me because I have 50 UFO's! But not for long.Tied quilts finish fast, and they can be absolutely stunning. Take a look at my new pattern: "Quilt Knots, Ten Ways to Tie a Quilt." One is called "Monster Noodles." Haha!

"Double Woolies" Pattern #2 in "Quilt Knots"

Included are lots of handy tips that I discovered while doing these 10+ projects. I used lots of different materials and tools. I show some of the quilts before and after machine washing and drying. There is a detailed supply list. Even a handy pattern for those occasions when you need it done yesterday

Could someone please put this on Pinterest and FB for me? Thanks.  :)

4 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Good for you! In the early days I tied one utility quilt, and I disassembled the remains of one from Rob's great grandmother, also tied. The problem? Not tied close enough...lesson learned.

congratulations on such an agile mind that likes to live outside the box. Sharyn

Selvage Quilter said...

Thanks for the advice about making the ties close enough.
I like making small samples so I can experiment with them in the washing machine and dryer.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

small ones won't suffer the damage full sized quilt will. It is the wet weight when washing that shifts things about doing most of the damage, although general use will eventually do the same.

I look forward to your viewpoints in the PDF. My advice on twin or larger is ties no further than 4 fingers apart, not just the corner of blocks.

I posted a note on the Quilt Board
with a challenge to get one of our tops our and have a tie party.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/karen-griska-help-alternatives-quilting-t212952.html#post5837705

Selvage Quilter said...

I think batting used to be looser; now batting is like a blanket. My Warm & Natural cotton batting calls for quilting (or tying) to be at 10-inch intervals. But closer than that looks nice anyway. I don't think we have to worry about shifting batting any more.