Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Pincushion Named Endurance


I recently bought a little silverplate cream pitcher at the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market. The seller said with a chuckle, "You can have the matching sugar bowl for free." When I showed it to my sister Eileen, she said, "Don't throw it away! Make it a pincushion; it's interesting; it has history!" So here it is.

This bowl was made in Japan, probably mid 1900's. It may have been a wedding gift, and probably spent years looking pretty in a china cabinet. But it has seen hard times, that's for sure. It was pulled from the wreckage for some reason, and because of Eileen, is now starting a new chapter as a pinsuchion, complete with a peach-colored silk cushion and two fancy pinsies. That's Endurance!

It will be listed soon with the other 100+ pincushions on Etsy in case you want to see more photos.

11 comments:

Tina Craig said...

Karen, I'd love to know more about your beautiful pins. What kind of pin do you start with? I have a large bin full of beads, just waiting for a fun project like this.

Linda said...

I second Tina's comment! I have a secret bead obsession, and it would be great to know how to make those fancy pins like you do.
Love the latest pin cushion, by the way!

Pam said...

I love how you ALWAYS end up working in series!!

love you,
pam

Carolyn S. said...

I so enjoy your work. I was just cruising around your Etsy shop and would love to know if you are having good success selling your work there. I would say your prices are very reasonable.
And good lord you have a lot of pin cushions!!!
Love your work.
Carolyn

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

I have getting rid of receptable items I have had just like that, now I will save them and T
TRY to make pin cushions. I have two I got at an antique store that I just love.

Annie said...

How awesome! A new place of honor and a new life to once again shine. Now I must go check out your Etsy.

patty a. said...

This pincushion is lovely! Let me know if you need and silk scraps. I have a bunch from a place I use to work.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love your pincushions! You have inspired me that when I return from the cruise I want to do a few.

glen: they won't be as good as yours though!

JoAnne in southern California said...

A cream pitcher! I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next! I have my grandmother's sterling silver pincushion with a velvet cushion in it but I don't use it.

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Oh wonderful. Everything needs a good story.

Helen said...

Great name for this re-purposed container. I want you to come in my attic and rescue my little no longer used treasures!