Saturday, November 19, 2011

Silk Dupioni Wall Quilt is Finished



This silk improv quilt is my latest finish and newest addition to my Etsy store. It's hand-quilted with Pearle cotton (big stitch) in straight lines and curvy lines. It measures 33" x 35." Working with silk takes a little getting used to; you need to use a pinking blade on your rotary cutter so the fabric doesn't fray away. I don't use a stabilizer because it drags under the feed dogs. I love how rich the colors are, and how brilliant it looks in a spotlight or near a lamp. It's worth the trouble in my opinion.




 I've been collecting silk dupioni over the last 5 years when I visit the garment district in New York City. I especially love the shot silks; the warp is one color and the weave is another color. So when you use it in a quilt, placing it in various angles, the color looks a little different. And so beautiful!!

Do you use silk in quilts? Any tips?

8 comments:

Nicky said...

Stunning - silk is such a quality fabric the fabric just glows and the colours are fabulously intense. I have some sari silks left over from I project I made and now I now what to do with them. In the past I ironed then onto lightweight interfacing but you do end up with stiff fabric - not tried pinking!

Michele said...

Stunning! I've been collecting silks, but haven't worked with them once.

Unknown said...

You have got me on this one! Totally in love, but then again you know my obsession with silks. Only tip that I have is use interfacing. Hope you are having a great workshop.

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful!

Sara said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!! I've never used silk - yet. But I have the scraps cut from the bottom of my daughter's Dupioni silk wedding dress. And I'm supposed to make a christianing gown for her baby out of it. Nervous!!!

electricdunce said...

.What a dazzler, the fabric is so beautiful and it really sings. I always enjoy your bog. I love seeing the quilts from the Museum of Folk art as well. I've been having lots of computer problems this fall so I haven't communicated much. I'm going to go look at your etsy site right now!

Karin

smazoochie said...

Beautiful! I didn't realize from the flickr image that it was dupioni.
I know a woman who has dupioni pajama-like pants & said they were sturdy, hard-working garments, easy to wash & elegant.

Norma Schlager said...

Your quilt is stunning! I love to quilt with Dupioni silk and have used it by itself and mixed with my hand dyes. I like the subtle sheen it has when quilted. I do back mine with a lightweight woven interfacing and have had no drag when quilting, but then I do machine quilt.