Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Grumman Greenhouse by Jordan Griska, Sculptor

Jordan Griska, Philadelphia sculptor and my nephew, has just completed this work "Grumman Greenhouse," located downtown in Lenfest Plaza in front of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.  He bought this airplane on eBay and turned it into this artistic creation which repurposes an instrument of destruction into a greenhouse filled with edible plants. Viewed from the left you can see all the plants through a big window. The pink grow light is partially visible through the cockpit window.


On Monday we attended the dedication ceremony at Lenfest Plaza. Shown above (left to right): Wayne S. Spilove, former Chairman of the PA Historical and Museum Commission, Jordan Griska, and Caryn Kunkle, Director of The Philadelphia Salon (also Jordan's girlfriend). Take a look at this video to see the  plane in its original condition and hear Jordan tell about the project.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Rachel said...

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing it!

Debbie said...

Cool idea! Thanks for showing it, Karen. BTW, is Caryn related to Jackie? (I know it's spelled differently.:):))

Selvage Quilter said...

I don't think so; I'll have to ask. They're both from NJ.

Quinta da Quilter said...

That is so awesome!! Congrats!

Eileen said...

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

DianeY said...

Wow! That is so cool. I will have to say I didn't know you could buy an airplane on Ebay!

dianneo said...

Very interesting! Congrats to your nephew!

Char said...

Wow that's awesome! I'll have to go see it next time I visit my sister.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Congratulations to Jordan on a very clever public sculpture.

Jean(ie) said...

That is really cool! Love it!

Nifty Quilts said...

This is great! Love the recycling message.

PrairiePeasant said...

What a fabulous idea! Kudos to your nephew for working that out! I'd love to see inside the greenhouse.

Nancy said...

I heard about this on NPR. What a great idea.

Unknown said...

Love it!! Now my hubby would have a great appreciation for that type of art... you know him and planes! And alas, Caryn is not a relative, definitely spelled differently, but how cool would that have been?