Friday, December 4, 2009

Field Trip to Death Valley!

My husband and I recently visited Death Valley National Park in California. Out in the middle of nowhere we saw an intersection called "Teakettle Junction," and I had to stop and take this photo to show you. Unfortunately we didn't have a teakettle to add to the collection. Some people signed and dated their contribution. Evidently someone had a spare pair of shoes to add to the mix!

I haven't seen one of these in a while! The cell coverage isn't very good out there, so a "real" phone comes in handy. These were in the "town" of Stovepipe Wells. I like the names.

The Salt Flats area (above) at Badwater, is 282 feet below sea level. It's the lowest spot in the western hemisphere. Also noteworthy is the complete silence here. Just an occasional airplane.

In the summer it's blistering hot, but it was very comfortable this time of the year. We even had a little rain! Very rare indeed. Oh yeah, we got a flat tire way out on a dirt road, but my very capable husband saved the day. Yayy, Jason!

See Part 2 tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

would have loved joining you on your trip to death valley
Edith from switzerland

Abby and Stephanie said...

I lived in So Cal for 30+ years and never made it to Death Valley. LOVE the Tea Kettle Junction and I love taking photos of signs too. I have been out to the Salt Flats way out in no where.

Joan said...

I like the tea kettle tree, but I believe I spotted an imposter. It looks like there's a coffee pot in the mix.

Unknown said...

I go out west regularly, but have never been to Death Valley. It has always intrigued me. I love all those tea kettles. Funny that people just seem to have some handy with them on their trip.

Barb said...

Thanks for the photos of the teakettles. I love unexpected public art - good one!
barb