Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day Treat

On Saturday I went to Manhattan for the Empire Quilter's guild meeting. Now that I live in CT it takes me 3 hours traveling time each way, but it's worth it. I never know what I'll see in NYC, but I'm never disappointed.

Curiously, the best part of the day was after the meeting. I walked from the Fashion Institute to Grand Central Station with Empire member (and Selvage Blog reader) Diane Schneck. We had such a good visit talking about our first quilts, urban myths, Sept. 11, and I forgot what else.

At Grand Central we saw this exhibit of Italian Glass and leather shoes in honor of Columbus Day. I particularly liked the glass NYC taxi (above) and the stars and stripes figure (below). They even had a wine and cheese tasting area. Delicious. What a nice surprise.

The collection of ornaments on this tree was truly amazing.

Most of the Italian shoes in the photos below are each about 4 inches long! The variety is incredible. We had fun savoring the huge variety.

Take a close look at the pink shoe below.
What kind of footwear were we wearing? Comfortable sneekers for walking!
Hanging out with quilters is so much fun!

1 comment:

Carrie P. said...

Wow, those ornaments and shoes are so cool. Looks like fun.